Activists oppose NMC`s move to develop 80-acre land
Nagpur: Social activists are opposing a
grandiose project of the BJP-ruled Nagpur Municipal
Corporation (NMC) to commercially develop a vast chunk of an
80-acre land in the heart of the city.
The plan is expected to get the state government`s nod
soon and by June 15 NMC is likely to invite tenders to attract
private investors to develop this stretch on the lines of the
famous London Street.
Starting from Wardha Road this land stretches to Jaitala
in West Nagpur which is considered the most prime property
location in the city.
Leader of Opposition in the NMC Vikas Thakre (Congress),
and Gopal Kondawar, chairman of the NGO Centre for Protection
of Rights, and Ravindra Kashkhedikar, secretary of the NGO
Jan Aakrosh secretary have come out strongly against the civic
They are of the view that the land should be ideally used
for providing affordable housing to lower and middle income
groups for whom the dream of owning a shelter is becoming
distant with property rates increasing.
But the NMC, which procured the land from the Defence
Ministry, wants to give it to private players for building
high-priced malls, multiplexes, markets with a small portion
earmarked for plush residences.
"As a real estate and infrastructure developer I can
understand that property prices have bloated so much in the
city that people from not only low income groups but even
middle income class are finding them beyond their reach," said
Kondawar, who has been till recently at the helm of a real
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi