Activists oppose NMC`s move to develop 80-acre land
Nagpur: Social activists are opposing a
grandiose project of the BJP-ruled Nagpur Municipal
Corporation (NMC) to commercially develop a vast chunk of an
80-acre land in the heart of the city.
The plan is expected to get the state government`s nod
soon and by June 15 NMC is likely to invite tenders to attract
private investors to develop this stretch on the lines of the
famous London Street.
Starting from Wardha Road this land stretches to Jaitala
in West Nagpur which is considered the most prime property
location in the city.
Leader of Opposition in the NMC Vikas Thakre (Congress),
and Gopal Kondawar, chairman of the NGO Centre for Protection
of Rights, and Ravindra Kashkhedikar, secretary of the NGO
Jan Aakrosh secretary have come out strongly against the civic
They are of the view that the land should be ideally used
for providing affordable housing to lower and middle income
groups for whom the dream of owning a shelter is becoming
distant with property rates increasing.
But the NMC, which procured the land from the Defence
Ministry, wants to give it to private players for building
high-priced malls, multiplexes, markets with a small portion
earmarked for plush residences.
"As a real estate and infrastructure developer I can
understand that property prices have bloated so much in the
city that people from not only low income groups but even
middle income class are finding them beyond their reach," said
Kondawar, who has been till recently at the helm of a real
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam