Adarsh accused moves court to defreeze bank a/c
Mumbai: The special CBI court hearing the
Adarsh society scam on Tuesday received applications from former
deputy secretary PV Deshmukh, an accused in the case and
family of another accused former civic body chief Jairaj
Phatak seeking to defreeze their bank accounts frozen by CBI.
"We have moved the application for defreezing the
accounts and the hearing is on September 8," Deshmukh`s lawyer
Niteen Pradhan said.
CBI in its FIR had accused Deshmukh of having abused
his official power by fraudulently communicating to the BMC
(local civic body) that the Ministry of Environment and Forest
had given a `No Objection Certificate` to Adarsh Society for
constructing a residential building.
Wife and daughter of another accused in the scam, former
chief of the civic body Jairaj Phatak also filed a similar
"Wife and daughter of Phatak have moved an application
seeking to defreeze the bank accounts", said his lawyer Ashok
According to the CBI, Phatak`s son, Kanishka, is one
of the 103 members owing an apartment in Adarsh Housing
Society in Mumbai`s upmarket Colaba area.
The CBI had alleged in its first information report
(FIR) that Phatak, during his tenure as BMC chief, had
approved the height of the Adarsh building to be increased
from 97 metres to 107 metres on September 1, 2007.
Incidentally, Aadarsh Society`s application seeking
release of the documents seized by the CBI is pending before
All the applications are likely to come up for hearing
on September 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble