Adarsh: Ashok Chavan to depose on June 30
Mumbai: In a U-turn, former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan today told the two-member inquiry commission probing the Adarsh housing society scam he is ready to appear before it on June 30.
Chavan, an accused in the Adarsh case, also being probed by the CBI, had on May 22 sought exemption from appearance before the judicial panel, saying his evidence would have been relevant only on issues of ownership of the land on which the 31-storey building stands and whether it was reserved for Kargil widows and war heroes.
The two issues have already been decided by the panel.
"As the commission has already submitted its report to the government on these issues I (Chavan) may be exempted," the former Chief Minister had said in his application.
However, Chavan filed a fresh application today clarifying that he did not intend to suggest that he would not be available to the commission.
"The applicant`s (Chavan) only request is that he be called for deposition on or after June 30. The applicant has been named by CBI in their FIR and in view of his requirement in Delhi in a pending proceeding, his deposition before the commission may be deferred," today`s application says.
The commission headed by Justice (retd) J A Patil accepted Chavan`s application and directed him to appear before it on June 30, while disposing of his previous petition seeking exemption.
Chavan, who was earlier directed to appear on May 23, will now give his deposition after the commission completes recording the evidence of Union Ministers Vilasrao Deshmukh and Sushil Kumar Shinde.
The commission had yesterday summoned Deshmukh and Shinde, both former Maharashtra Chief Ministers, on June 21-22 and June 25-26 respectively.
The panel, in its interim report, had said the land belonged to the state government, contrary to the claim of Ministry of Defence that it was defence land.
Chavan is alleged to have recommended allotment of 40 per cent flats in the Adarsh Housing Society, said to be originally meant for Kargil widows and war heroes, to civilians.
His relatives were alleged to have got flats in the building as quid-pro-quo for extending favours to the society.
Chavan was the Revenue Minister from 1999 to 2003 when the land was allotted to the housing society and Deshmukh the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'