‘Adarsh belongs to Maha govt, not for war heroes’
Mumbai: The Adarsh Society land is owned by Maharashtra government and not meant for the Kargil war heroes and their widows, says the judicial commission report which was tabled in the assembly on Tuesday.
The two-member commission, comprising Justice (retired) J A Patil and member P Subrahmanyam, was appointed by the Maharashtra government to probe the Adarsh Society Housing Scam.
The scam, that cost Ashok Chavan his job as Maharashtra Chief Minister involves a prime plot in south Mumbai`s Colaba neighbourhood on which a 31-storey building was constructed by the society.
The 13-point report focuses on two crucial issues - the ownership of the plot and whether it was reserved for Kargil war martyrs and their widows.
The report states that the land on which the high-rise was constructed is a property of the government of Maharashtra and not meant for Kargil martyrs as claimed by the Army.
The state government had claimed ownership of the building`s plot which it said was reclaimed from the Arabian Sea in the 1970s.
Disputing the claim, the defence ministry contended that the plot allotted to Adarsh society had been in its possession since the past four decades.
The report will be discussed by the state cabinet before any further steps are taken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened