‘Adarsh belongs to Maha govt, not for war heroes’
Mumbai: The Adarsh Society land is owned by Maharashtra government and not meant for the Kargil war heroes and their widows, says the judicial commission report which was tabled in the assembly on Tuesday.
The two-member commission, comprising Justice (retired) J A Patil and member P Subrahmanyam, was appointed by the Maharashtra government to probe the Adarsh Society Housing Scam.
The scam, that cost Ashok Chavan his job as Maharashtra Chief Minister involves a prime plot in south Mumbai`s Colaba neighbourhood on which a 31-storey building was constructed by the society.
The 13-point report focuses on two crucial issues - the ownership of the plot and whether it was reserved for Kargil war martyrs and their widows.
The report states that the land on which the high-rise was constructed is a property of the government of Maharashtra and not meant for Kargil martyrs as claimed by the Army.
The state government had claimed ownership of the building`s plot which it said was reclaimed from the Arabian Sea in the 1970s.
Disputing the claim, the defence ministry contended that the plot allotted to Adarsh society had been in its possession since the past four decades.
The report will be discussed by the state cabinet before any further steps are taken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH