Adarsh case: 3 accused get CBI custody till Mar 31
Mumbai: Retired Defence Estates Officer,
R C Thakur, Brigadier (retired) M M Wanchoo, and former Deputy
Secretary in Maharashtra Urban Development Department, P V
Deshmukh, arrested yesterday in the Adarsh Society scam, were
on Wednesday remanded to CBI custody till March 31.
The three were produced before special CBI judge M V
The arrests followed a censure by the Bombay High Court
which asked why CBI had not been taking action against those
who were allegedly involved in the case.
The accused have been arrested under the provisions of
IPC, Prevention of Corruption Act and Benami Transactions
Prohibition Act, said CBI special prosecutor Ejaz Khan.
Seeking custody, CBI said investigation was at a crucial
stage. The accused were a part of the larger conspiracy and
the agency had to ascertain the bribe amounts as well as the
corruption trail, it said.
According to the agency`s plea, Thakur conspired with
officers of Defence Services, promoter of Adarsh Housing
Society K L Gidwani, and officers of state government to get
the plot (on which Adarsh Society came up) which was in the
possession of the Army for long.
The accused "manipulated and fabricated records to
achieve the objective of getting land allotted in favour of
Adarsh", it said.
"In lieu of this abuse of their official position, they
obtained for themselves and close relatives, property rights
over flats in illegal manner at a very low cost compared to
market value for pecuniary advantage," the remand application
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks