Adarsh: CBI court to decide on chargesheet on Aug 6
Mumbai: A special CBI court on Monday adjourned till August 6 the arguments on taking cognisance of the central agency`s charge sheet in the Adarsh housing society scam and also on issuing process against the 13 accused, including former Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan.
The court adjourned the matter after both prosecution and defence lawyers pointed out that the Bombay High Court will hear on August 3 the issue of whether CBI had the jurisdiction to probe the matter.
Special CBI judge M V Kulkarni then adjourned the matter till August 6.
The court had today scheduled the hearing of CBI`s arguments on taking cognisance of the over 10,000-page charge sheet and on issuance of process (notices) to the accused.
On July 4, the CBI had filed a charge sheet in the matter against 13 people, including Chavan. The central agency had initiated a probe in the matter in November, 2010, after direction from the Ministry of Defence.
However, both the Adarsh society and Maharashtra government had recently filed affidavits in the Bombay High Court challenging CBI probe in the matter.
According to their affidavits, the land belonged to the state government and since it has not given consent to CBI for a probe, the central agency has no jurisdiction.
However, the Ministry of Defence had last week opposed this claim saying the ownership of land is still disputed.
The high court had allowed the Ministry of Defence to intervene in the PILs in the scam and asked it to file its response to the Maharashtra government`s stand that CBI cannot probe it, as neither the state government nor the court had handed over the case to central agency, as required by law.
The PILs in the Adarsh scam are seeking monitoring of the investigations by the high court and invoking provisions of Prevention of Money Laundering Act against those involved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India