Adarsh hearing today, CBI may file chargesheet
New Delhi: The Bombay High Court will resume hearing the Adarsh housing society case on Monday. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which is probing the case, is expected to file a chargesheet today.
The CBI had so far arrested nine of the 14 accused in the Adarsh scam. The special CBI court had earlier grated bail nine accused, including two IAS officers, arrested for their role in the Adarsh Housing scam.
On June 7, former municipal commissioner Jairaj Phatak and former state information commissioner Ramanand Tiwari, who have been in custody since April 3, were granted bail as they had moved their bail applications citing that the agency had failed to file the chargesheet in the stipulated period of 60 days.
Besides the two IAS officers, others who have been given bail are MLC Kanhaiyyalal Gidwani, IAS officer Pradeep Vyas, former deputy secretary of the urban development department P V Deshmukh, retired Brigadier MM Wanchoo, retired Defence Estates Officer R C Thakur, retired Major General AR Kumar and Major Gen (retired) TK Kaul.
The ground on which all nine accused have been given bail has been the same - CBI`s failure to file the chargesheet in the stipulated time. The delay in the investigations, for which the Bombay High Court has been constantly pulling up both the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate (ED) has not gone down too well with the activists on whose PIL the case was unearthed.
All the nine accused who have been granted bail so far were charged with criminal conspiracy under IPC and various sections under the Prevention of Corruption Act and Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Act.
The CBI, ED and the Income Tax departments are expected to submit their next report to the Bombay HC on June 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur