Adarsh members seek apology from Modi over `land grab` charge
Mumbai: Members of Adarsh Housing Society on Wednesday issued a notice against Narendra Modi seeking apology for "defaming" the society and also threatened to file a defamation suit of Rs 100 crore in the High Court if the BJP`s PM nominee failed to oblige.
The members have accused Modi of making "baseless" allegations against the Society.
The notice signed by the society`s secretary RC Thakur has threatened to file a defamation suit of Rs 100 crore in the Bombay High Court if Modi failed to apologise or produce documents supporting his allegations within three days.
"The society and its members are constrained to serve you (Modi) this notice for defaming the Adarsh Society on baseless allegations which are not borne out of any material facts.”
"You (Modi) have, during your election, rallies attacked the Congress party and its leaders for which we have no complaints. But your attempt to tarnish us with fake and fabricated allegations like the Society has grabbed defence land meant for Kargil war veterans and their widows have caused irreparable damage to the Society and its members," reads the notice.
The notice claimed that a judicial inquiry commission set up by the Maharashtra government has concluded that the land where the highrise stands in South Mumbai belonged to the state government and not reserved for war veterans or their families.
"We demand you (Modi) to produce any document supporting your claim and allegations within three days of receipt of this notice. Failing this, we would be constrained to file a defamation suit of Rs 100 crore against you in the Bombay High Court," the notice said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed