Adarsh: NCP minister shifts blame on Chavan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Rural Development Minister Jayant Patil on Thursday sought to deflect the responsibility for allotment and valuation of land on which the scam-tainted Adarsh building stands on departments of Town Planning and Revenue.
"Grant of government land to any co-operative housing society is the prerogative of the Revenue Department. The valuation of the land is done by the Director, Town Planning. The finance minister and department only gives its concurrence to the valuation," Patil said in his deposition before the two-member judicial panel probing the multi-crore scam.
Patil was finance minister from October 1999 to December 2008 when the state government had allotted land in South Mumbai to the high rise. Former chief minister Ashok Chavan was the then revenue minister.
"The authority to determine the value of a government land is the Director of Town Planning. There is no independent machinery in the finance department to ascertain whether the valuation made by the said authority is correct or not. The Finance Ministry simply acts on the valuation report submitted by the authority," Patil said.
The minister further said the valuation report of the director of town planning first goes to the revenue department and after their approval the file, along with the report, is sent to the finance department.
"In case of Adarsh, the valuation which was done by the authority was suggested by the revenue department," Patil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir