Adarsh: PIL seeks action under Money Laundering Act
Mumbai: A PIL filed in the Bombay High Court has demanded that provisions of `Prevention of Money-laundering Act, 2002` be invoked in the Adarsh Society
scam case, and the source of the funds used for the purchase of flats be probed.
The PIL, filed by Pravin Wategaonkar, came up for hearing before division bench of Justice Ranjana Desai and Justice RV More on Thursday. The bench deferred the matter till June 22.
The petition contends that this is a fit case in which Prevention of Money-laundering Act can be invoked. One of the functions of the Directorate of Enforcement (ED) was to
enforce this Act, it argues.
It further says it is important that actions of ED are monitored by the High Court, especially pertaining to those Adarsh Society members, whose "loans" are claimed to have come from sources other than the Banks and the Financial Institutions, with a more focus on `benami` flats.
Even those, who are claiming immunity now saying that they have quit the membership of Adarsh Society, be investigated with regard to the source of funds used to acquire the membership in the first place, it says.
The PIL adds that it has been four months since Income Tax department sent notices to members of Adarsh Society, and the replies sent by 94 members should be scrutinised, keeping in view income declarations submitted by them at the time of becoming the members of the Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset