Adarsh probe: CBI issues summons to 3, recovers Rs 23 lakh
Mumbai: CBI on Weenesday issued summons to three
main accused in the Adarsh Housing Society scam asking them to
appear before it by Friday and said it recovered Rs 23 lakh
from the residence of a former state official, who is also one
of the accused.
Summons were issued to Adarsh society`s general
secretary R C Thakur, retired Brigadier M M Wanchoo and
Congress leader K L Gidwani, CBI sources said.
The agency said that it has recovered Rs 23 lakh from
the residence of former Deputy Secretary of Urban Development
Department P V Deshmukh, one of the accused.
"Apart from certain documents, hard disk and laptop,
we recovered Rs 23 lakh from Deshmukh`s residence here," a CBI
Two months after initiating a preliminary inquiry, CBI
had on January 29 registered an FIR against 13 people,
including former chief minister Ashok Chavan, retired army
officials, bureaucrats and state government officials on
charges of criminal conspiracy, fraud and misuse of their
Soon after registration of the FIR, the agency
conducted searches at the premises of Thakur, Wanchoo, Gidwani
and Ramanand Tiwari - in various parts of Maharashtra and
Meanwhile, a team of CBI officials met Chief Secretary
Ratnakar Gaikwad today and submitted a letter requesting
logistical and infrastructural support for further probe into
"We have sought accommodation, manpower and other
infrastructural support. The chief secretary has assured to
render all support," a senior CBI official said.
"Now that a case has been registered and voluminous
documents have been seized from the houses of the main accused
and the office of Adarsh Society, we need accommodation to
keep those papers and question all the 103 members of the
Society," the official said.
The agency has also sought manpower like stenographers
for the clerical part of the investigations.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Funny video: Squirrel taunts house cat through glass door – Watch
- L&T Finance terminates over 500 employees citing poor performance
- Illegal mining scam: BJP Karnataka president Yeddyurappa becomes teary-eyed in CBI court
- Adorable! This cute baby goes to bed with his best mate dog – Watch video
- Supreme Court to consider NEET exemption applications on Tuesday