Adarsh probe: HC summons ED`s special director
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday exempted
the Director of Enforcement Directorate (ED) from personally
appearing before it on March 12 and instead summoned the
Special Director along with a status report mentioning the
steps that have been taken in the scam-tainted Adarsh Housing
A division bench of Justices P B Majmudar and R D Dhanuka
had on February 28, severely castigated the agency for
"serious lapse" on its part and failing to initiate an inquiry
against the society members for money laundering while
summoning the ED Director on March 12.
The investigating agency later filed an application
asking the court to modify its order and permit the special
director or joint director to appear before it on given date.
Senior Counsel R V Desai appearing for ED told the court
that the agency was not shying away from investigations and
that the special director or joint director would appear
before the court and inform it about the probe.
"The Special Director is a higher official. We summon him
along with a status report detailing what steps have been
taken or proposed to be taken by ED against erring persons in
connection with money laundering," Justice Majmudar said
Asking the ED to prosecute all those persons against whom
evidence is found, the court said, "We want concrete steps to
be taken. CBI has found several members have purchased flats
through benami transactions. It is ED`s job to look into
"A special team has been formed under the supervision of
the joint director and the agency is in the process of
starting its investigations," Desai told the court.
"Special team should not mean further delay in the
investigation. We cannot betray the faith people have
instilled in the court," Justice Majmudar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey