Adarsh probe: HC summons ED`s special director
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday exempted
the Director of Enforcement Directorate (ED) from personally
appearing before it on March 12 and instead summoned the
Special Director along with a status report mentioning the
steps that have been taken in the scam-tainted Adarsh Housing
A division bench of Justices P B Majmudar and R D Dhanuka
had on February 28, severely castigated the agency for
"serious lapse" on its part and failing to initiate an inquiry
against the society members for money laundering while
summoning the ED Director on March 12.
The investigating agency later filed an application
asking the court to modify its order and permit the special
director or joint director to appear before it on given date.
Senior Counsel R V Desai appearing for ED told the court
that the agency was not shying away from investigations and
that the special director or joint director would appear
before the court and inform it about the probe.
"The Special Director is a higher official. We summon him
along with a status report detailing what steps have been
taken or proposed to be taken by ED against erring persons in
connection with money laundering," Justice Majmudar said
Asking the ED to prosecute all those persons against whom
evidence is found, the court said, "We want concrete steps to
be taken. CBI has found several members have purchased flats
through benami transactions. It is ED`s job to look into
"A special team has been formed under the supervision of
the joint director and the agency is in the process of
starting its investigations," Desai told the court.
"Special team should not mean further delay in the
investigation. We cannot betray the faith people have
instilled in the court," Justice Majmudar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report