Adarsh probe panel summons Deshmukh, Shinde
Mumbai: The judicial panel probing the Adarsh Housing Society scam Wednesday summoned two former chief ministers of Maharashtra to appear before it next month.
While Vilasrao Deshmukh has been asked to appear before the panel June 21 and 22, Sushilkumar Shinde has been summoned June 25 and 26.
Another former chief minister, Ashok Chavan, who was asked to appear before the panel Wednesday, had sought an exemption.
Subsequently, the two-member panel, comprising of former Bombayy High Court Judge J.A. Patil and former Maharashtra chief secretary P. Subrahmanyam, reserved their ruling on Chavan`s absence.
After the scam broke, Chavan stepped down as the chief minister Nov 9, 2010.
In a report submitted to the Bombay High Court, the Central Bureau of Investigation, which also is probing the scam, has mentioned that three former chief ministers Shinde, Deshmukh and Chavan owned `benami` (by proxy) flats in the Adarsh Society.
The Enforcement Directorate has registered a money laundering case against 14 people in the scam, including Chavan.
The judicial panel in its interim report had said the land on which the Adarsh Society stood belonged to the state government, contrary to the claims made by the defence ministry that it was a defence land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened