Adarsh probe report: After Rahul`s opposition, NCP says open to review

Last Updated: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 14:28

Zee Media Bureau

Mumbai: With Rahul Gandhi coming out strongly against Maharashtra government`s decision rejecting a judicial panel`s report on Adarsh scam, Congress ally Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) said on Monday that the party is open to reviewing the decision in the next Cabinet meeting .

"We will support any decision to review the state cabinet`s decision. The decision to reject the report was apparently taken in a haste....It was not proper to reject the commission`s report. There is a need to review it," NCP MP and senior party leader Tariq Anwar said.
Speaking to a leading English news channel, NCP spokesperson Nawab Mallik said that action could be taken against those who have been indicted in the commission report.

Mallik said NCP is open for a review and said that the party is confident that action will taken against guilty.
Last week Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi said the report on Adarsh society allotments should be reconsidered by the Maharashtra Cabinet.

"I think Adarsh (report) should be reconsidered," he said responding to a question.

Earlier this month, the Maharashtra Government tabled a report on alleged Adarsh Society scam in the state Assembly and then rejected it.

Congress President Sonia Gandhi had on Saturday indicated that the Maharashtra government would reconsider its decision.

The report - by a two-member commission comprising former high court judge JA Patil and former chief secretary P Subramanium - had described the scam as reeking of "greed, nepotism and favouritism" by those in authority who twisted laws, setting "a bad precedent".

The report charges various politicians, including those from the ruling Congress and the NCP, as well as top bureaucrats, for transgressing rules and regulations to get requisite clearances.

Speaking about the political patronage enjoyed by the society, the report said it was backed by former chief ministers - late Vilasrao Deshmukh, Sushilkumar Shinde (now home minister), Ashok Chavan and Shivajirao Patil-Nilangekar - besides two former ministers Sunil Tatkare and Rajesh Tope.

The commission has also asked the state government to inquire into the "benami" (proxy) ownership of several flats in the controversial 31-storeyed building in south Mumbai.

Its probe says that from the 102 members, at least 22 "benami" purchases were made and 25 others were found not eligible to become members of the society.

The ineligible members include senior NCP leader and former assembly speaker Babasaheb Kupekar, former Shiv Sena MP and minister Suresh Prabhu, three relatives of former CM Chavan, and Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade.



First Published: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 14:27

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus