Adarsh scam: Bail plea of seven accused rejected
Mumbai: Observing that investigations had
reached a crucial stage, a special court on Wednesday rejected the
bail plea of seven accused, including former Congress
legislator K L Gidwani, in the multi-crore Adarsh housing
Hearing their petition, judge M V Kulkarni maintained
that investigations were at a crucial stage and hence he was
not inclined to grant them bail at this juncture.
Besides Gidwani, the other accused who had sought bail
were Maharashtra bureaucrat Pradeep Vyas, Major General (retd)
T K Kaul, Major General (retd) A R Kumar, Brigadier (retd) M M
Wanchoo, retired Defence Estates Officer R C Thakur and ex-
Deputy Secretary in Urban Development Department P V Deshmukh.
All of them were yesterday remanded in judicial custody
till April 17.
The accused sought bail on the ground that investigations
were over and there was no need for their custodial
Opposing their plea, the CBI, which is probing the scam
which came to light in 2010, argued that if the accused are
released on bail, they might tamper with evidence and threaten
The scam pertains to alleged irregularities in
construction and allotment of apartments in the 32-storeyed
highrise, originally meant for families of Kargil war heroes,
in the upmarket Colaba area in south Mumbai.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged