Adarsh scam: CBI detains 2 Maha bureaucrats
Mumbai: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Tuesday detained two senior Maharashtra bureaucrats Ramanand Tiwari and Jairaj Pathak for questioning in the Adarsh Housing Society scam.
Phatak was the municipal commissioner of Mumbai in 2010 when the building’s height was allowed to be increased beyond 100 metres but without approval from the High-Rise Committee of the municipal body. As a quid pro quo Phatak’s son was allotted a flat in the Adarsh Society.
The son of Tiwari, a retired information commissioner and former urban development secretary, was also allotted a flat in the building.
Last month, the CBI had made seven arrests in the case.
The agency had arrested Maj Gen (retd) AR Kumar, Maj Gen (retd) TK Kaul, IAS officer Pradeep Vyas, former Congress MLA Kanahiyalal Gidwani, retired defence estates officer RC Thakur, Brig (retd) MM Wanchoo and former deputy secretary, urban development PV Deshmukh.
Vyas - the collector of Mumbai when the scam took place - and Pathak were named in the FIR filed by the CBI in the case on January 29.
The scam involves a prime plot in South Mumbai`s Colaba on which a 31-storey building was constructed by the society.
CBI`s action last month had come after the Bombay High Court division bench of Justices PB Majmudar and RD Dhanuka questioned the agency for delaying the arrests in the case.
The court had on March 12 rapped the CBI for not initiating action against government officials involved in the scam.
The division bench had on February 28 also castigated the Enforcement Directorate for "serious lapse" in failing to initiate investigations against some Adarsh society members allegedly involved in money-laundering.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you