Adarsh scam: CBI files charge sheet in counsel bribe case
Mumbai: CBI has filed a chargesheet in a case where a bribe was allegedly paid to its counsel Mandar Goswami to dilute the Adarsh Housing Society case.
Former member of Maharashtra Legislative Council and key accused in Adarsh scam Kanhaiyalal Gidwani, his son Kailash, tax consultant JK Jagiasi and CBI`s retainer counsel Mandar Goswami were earlier arrested in the case.
The 500-page charge sheet, divided into three volumes, contains a list of 17 witnesses.
Since the accused Kanhaiyalal Gidwani died last year, the case against him would be abated, sources in the probe agency said.
Several other documentary evidences such as call record data and copies of Jagiasi`s petty cash book are also the part of the charge sheet, they said.
According to the charge sheet, Kanhaiyalal allegedly paid Jagiasi a sum of Rs 1.25 crore to influence CBI retainer counsel Mandar Goswami.
The central agency claimed that Rs 25 lakh was paid to Goswami to pass on investigation-related information as well as the strategy of CBI officials probing the Adarsh case.
CBI had arrested Jagiasi on March 4 last year, while Kanhaiyalal Gidwani, his son Kailash and Goswami were arrested on March 5. All the accused were granted bail after 15 days of their arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach