Adarsh scam: CBI files charge sheet in counsel bribe case
Mumbai: CBI has filed a chargesheet in a case where a bribe was allegedly paid to its counsel Mandar Goswami to dilute the Adarsh Housing Society case.
Former member of Maharashtra Legislative Council and key accused in Adarsh scam Kanhaiyalal Gidwani, his son Kailash, tax consultant JK Jagiasi and CBI`s retainer counsel Mandar Goswami were earlier arrested in the case.
The 500-page charge sheet, divided into three volumes, contains a list of 17 witnesses.
Since the accused Kanhaiyalal Gidwani died last year, the case against him would be abated, sources in the probe agency said.
Several other documentary evidences such as call record data and copies of Jagiasi`s petty cash book are also the part of the charge sheet, they said.
According to the charge sheet, Kanhaiyalal allegedly paid Jagiasi a sum of Rs 1.25 crore to influence CBI retainer counsel Mandar Goswami.
The central agency claimed that Rs 25 lakh was paid to Goswami to pass on investigation-related information as well as the strategy of CBI officials probing the Adarsh case.
CBI had arrested Jagiasi on March 4 last year, while Kanhaiyalal Gidwani, his son Kailash and Goswami were arrested on March 5. All the accused were granted bail after 15 days of their arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened