Adarsh scam: CBI to file chargesheet against Gidwani, son
Mumbai: In more trouble for former Congress MLC Kanhaiyalal Gidwani, CBI will soon file a charge sheet against him and his son Kailash Gidwani in a case of bribing public servants to dilute charges levelled against them in the multi-crore Adarsh Housing Society scam.
Gidwani is one of the 13 accused along with former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan to be chargesheeted by CBI on July 4 for their alleged involvement in the Adarsh scam.
Gidwani and Kailash were arrested in March by CBI along with the agency`s counsel Mandar Goswami and tax consultant J K Jagiasi in an alleged graft case.
According to CBI, the Gidwanis had paid Rs 1.25 crore bribe to Jagiasi, who had flaunted close links with CBI officers including Goswami, to weaken the charges levelled against them in the Adarsh scam.
Jagiasi, who used to file Goswami`s income tax returns, in turn gave Rs 25 lakh to the CBI counsel.
The agency is now at the fag end of investigation into the bribe case and is likely to file charge sheet in the case by the end of this month.
CBI had stumbled upon the bribe case with the arrest of Jagiasi first on February 20 for allegedly demanding a Rs 25 lakh bribe from an Air India official, accused in a CBI case, for dilution of the charges against him. During interrogation, it was learnt that Jagiasi had also approached Gidwani seeking a bribe of Rs 1.25 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!