Adarsh scam: ED to expedite probe
Mumbai: With the CBI filing its first charge sheet in the Adarsh scam, the Enforcement Directorate, which is separately investigating the case, would speed up its probe, sources in the anti-money laundering agency said.
"We were waiting for the charge sheet to be filed. Now we will proceed in full swing with the probe into the housing scam and examine whether a case can be made out under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA)," ED sources said.
The CBI had yesterday charge-sheeted 13 accused, including former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, several retired army officials and bureaucrats in the case.
"We were waiting for the charge sheet because it was the CBI which had first filed a case and started the probe," the sources said.
The CBI, in its charge sheet has said Chavan also has one `benami` flat in the 31-storey tower in upscale Colaba in south Mumbai.
The CBI is also probing `benami` transactions relating to 24 of the 103 flats in the Adarsh Society. It had told the special CBI court yesterday that a probe was on to identify the actual owners of these flats.
CBI had included Section 3 of Benami Transactions Act on the order of the Bombay High Court on February 17 last year.
According to CBI sources, the probe indicated that promoters of the society R C Thakur and former Congress MLC Kanhaiyalal Gidwani allegedly own eight flats each under `benami` names.
The Bombay High Court is already hearing a PIL seeking invoking of Prevention of Money Laundering Act in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi