Adarsh scam: ED to expedite probe
Mumbai: With the CBI filing its first charge sheet in the Adarsh scam, the Enforcement Directorate, which is separately investigating the case, would speed up its probe, sources in the anti-money laundering agency said.
"We were waiting for the charge sheet to be filed. Now we will proceed in full swing with the probe into the housing scam and examine whether a case can be made out under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA)," ED sources said.
The CBI had yesterday charge-sheeted 13 accused, including former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, several retired army officials and bureaucrats in the case.
"We were waiting for the charge sheet because it was the CBI which had first filed a case and started the probe," the sources said.
The CBI, in its charge sheet has said Chavan also has one `benami` flat in the 31-storey tower in upscale Colaba in south Mumbai.
The CBI is also probing `benami` transactions relating to 24 of the 103 flats in the Adarsh Society. It had told the special CBI court yesterday that a probe was on to identify the actual owners of these flats.
CBI had included Section 3 of Benami Transactions Act on the order of the Bombay High Court on February 17 last year.
According to CBI sources, the probe indicated that promoters of the society R C Thakur and former Congress MLC Kanhaiyalal Gidwani allegedly own eight flats each under `benami` names.
The Bombay High Court is already hearing a PIL seeking invoking of Prevention of Money Laundering Act in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi