Adarsh scam: Forged rent receipt got Chavan`s kin a flat
Mumbai: In fresh trouble for former Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan, his relative on Wednesday told a judicial panel that he secured a flat in Adarsh society on the strength of a forged receipt showing him as living in a rented accomodation when he owned an apartment in the city.
Madanlal Sharma, uncle of Chavan`s wife Amita, told the Inquiry Commission headed by retired High Court judge J A Patil probing the Adarsh scam that a rent receipt dated June 30, 2009 was furnished to the society which showed him as a tenant and his niece as owner of the Andheri flat which belonged to him.
According to by-laws of the society, membership could be granted only to those who did not own flats in Mumbai.
"I am the owner of a flat in suburban Andheri since 1985. My application form seeking membership in Adarsh says I do not own any flats in the city. This is incorrect. I don`t know who filled my form. I only signed it," Sharma told the two-member commission.
Sharma, brother of Chavan`s father-in-law, had sought membership on August 13, 2009 and it was granted on August 30 the same year.
"A rent receipt dated June 30, 2009 was issued to the Adarsh society showing that my niece Amita Chavan is the owner of the flat in Andheri and she has rented it to me. This receipt is incorrect. Amita is the wife of Ashok Chavan," Sharma said.
He told the commission that Ashok Chavan was the chief minister when he had applied for membership and when his application was approved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?