Adarsh scam: Forged rent receipt got Chavan`s kin a flat
Mumbai: In fresh trouble for former Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan, his relative on Wednesday told a judicial panel that he secured a flat in Adarsh society on the strength of a forged receipt showing him as living in a rented accomodation when he owned an apartment in the city.
Madanlal Sharma, uncle of Chavan`s wife Amita, told the Inquiry Commission headed by retired High Court judge J A Patil probing the Adarsh scam that a rent receipt dated June 30, 2009 was furnished to the society which showed him as a tenant and his niece as owner of the Andheri flat which belonged to him.
According to by-laws of the society, membership could be granted only to those who did not own flats in Mumbai.
"I am the owner of a flat in suburban Andheri since 1985. My application form seeking membership in Adarsh says I do not own any flats in the city. This is incorrect. I don`t know who filled my form. I only signed it," Sharma told the two-member commission.
Sharma, brother of Chavan`s father-in-law, had sought membership on August 13, 2009 and it was granted on August 30 the same year.
"A rent receipt dated June 30, 2009 was issued to the Adarsh society showing that my niece Amita Chavan is the owner of the flat in Andheri and she has rented it to me. This receipt is incorrect. Amita is the wife of Ashok Chavan," Sharma said.
He told the commission that Ashok Chavan was the chief minister when he had applied for membership and when his application was approved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers