Adarsh scam: Former BMC commissioner questioned
Mumbai: Former commissioner of
Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Jairaj Phatak was on Friday questioned by CBI in connection with the Adarsh Housing
The 1978 batch IAS officer of Maharashtra cadre has
been named as an accused in the scam along with 13 others,
including former Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan.
During his tenure as BMC commissioner, Phatak had also
chaired the high-rise committee of the corporation. He had
approved increase in the height of Adarsh building from 97 m
to 100.7 m in September 2007.
According to CBI, Phatak had not referred the decision
on increasing the height of the building to other committee
members and in return for this favour his son Kanishka was
made a member of the Adarsh society.
"Phatak was questioned on what basis he had approved
the increase in building`s height and the sources of funds
through which his son Kanishka purchased a flat in the
society," a senior CBI official said.
Phatak had refuted the allegations and claimed that he
was not with the municipal corporation when his son was
allotted a flat in Adarsh.
"The high-rise committee of the civic body had
approved the building`s height at 103 m earlier. Hence, when I
gave my approval for 100.7 m, I did not feel the need to refer
the matter to the High-rise Committee again," Phatak had said.
CBI has so far questioned other accused including
Adarsh society`s chief promoter and secretary RC Thakur,
retired brigadier MM Wanchoo, Congress leader KL Gidwani and
former deputy secretary of urban development department PV
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’