Adarsh scam: Guv refers Tiwari’s removal to SC
Mumbai: With a defiant Information
Commissioner Ramanand Tiwari digging in his heels, Maharashtra
Governor K Sankaranarayanan on Tuesday made a reference to the
Supreme Court for suspension of the former bureaucrat for his
alleged role in the Adarsh housing scam.
"The Governor has made a reference to the Supreme
Court on Tiwari under Section 17.1 of the RTI Act," a Raj
Bhavan spokesperson said, taking forward the process to
suspend Tiwari, who was in-charge of the Urban Development
department when the Adarsh building got crucial clearances.
With this development, the process to suspend Tiwari
has been speeded up and it is a matter of days when it would
be completed, a senior Mantralaya official said.
Tiwari has defied the state government, saying he will
not quit as Information Commissioner and will challenge the
recommendation to the Governor to suspend him following his
alleged involvement in the Adarsh scam.
"I am not quitting but will challenge the suspension
process," Tiwari had said after a 10-minute meeting with
Sankaranarayanan at Raj Bhavan on Sunday.
Alleging "misconduct" by Tiwari in the Adarsh scam,
the State Cabinet had on January 11 recommended his suspension
to the Governor.
"I continue to attend office as I have not got any
communication from the state government asking me not to
attend office," Tiwari, a retired IAS officer, whose son owns
a flat in Adarsh society, said to a news agency recently.
The government had asked Tiwari to quit the post on
moral grounds but he defiantly rejected the suggestion and
instead applied for a three-month leave, which was turned down
by the Governor.
The Cabinet recommended to the Governor to refer to
the Supreme Court the matter of misconduct by Tiwari, under
section 17 of the Right to Information Act. It also suggested
that Tiwari be suspended from the post and barred from
remaining present in office till the inquiry is on.
"For Tiwari to continue in office is not in the
interest of the state. We have submitted enough grounds to
take action against Tiwari and the Governor will send the
recommendation to the Supreme Court which will hold an inquiry
and decide whether to suspend him or terminate his services,"
Another retired IAS officer Subhash Lalla resigned as
member of the State Human Rights Commission earlier this month
against the backdrop of his alleged involvement in the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow