Adarsh scam: HC seeks status report from I-T dept
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday asked
the Income Tax authorities to file a status report within four
weeks on its probe into the finances of the persons who were
allotted flats in the controversial Adarsh Housing Society.
A division bench of Justices Sharad Bobde and V K
Tahilramani was hearing a bunch of public interest litigations
regarding the Adarsh scam, where environmental and civic norms
were allegedly flouted while granting certain concessions to
the 31-storey skyrise in South Mumbai.
Praveen Vategaokar, who has filed a PIL seeking
inquiry under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act into how
the 100-odd members of the society financed the purchase of
flats, pointed out that in six cases, the IT department closed
the inquiry, without giving reasons.
The bench therefore asked the IT lawyer to produce a
report on the probe, stating the reasons for closing the
inquiry in these cases and status of the probe in others,
within four weeks.
The six cases mentioned by Vategaokar include that of
former IAS officer and MP, Shrinivas Patil.
A Mehta, the counsel of Simpreet Singh, another
petitioner, demanded that the high court monitor the probe as
CBI has not made any progress after taking over the case in
February this year, barring filing six reports in the court.
He also stated that in a related criminal case, where
CBI was probing missing of a file related to Adarsh from the
Maharashtra Urban Development Department, no chargesheet has
been filed yet, though three clerks of the concerned
department were arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in