Adarsh scam: HC to hear CBI`s plea to remove Chavan`s name from FIR
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court is expected to hear on Thursday the CBI`s review petition plea to remove former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan`s name from the FIR lodged in connection with the Adarsh Housing Society scam.
The CBI had yesterday approached the Bombay High Court after the lower court refused to end the criminal prosecution of Chavan in the Adarsh case.
The special CBI court, in January this year, had turned CBI`s plea to drop Chavan`s name from the First Information Report (FIR).
CBI had filed the application after Maharashtra Governor refused sanction to prosecute Chavan, on the ground that there was not much evidence against the Congress leader.
Chavan had stepped down as the Chief Minister after the scam came to light in 2010. CBI, in the FIR, had accused Chavan of approving additional floor space index for Adarsh in return for two flats for his relatives.
He was also charged with illegally approving, as the revenue minister, allotment of 40 per cent of the flats to civilians when the society was allegedly meant only for Kargil war widows and defence personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery