Adarsh Society challenges MoEF demolition order
Mumbai: Almost a month after the Union
Ministry of Environment and Forests (MOEF) passed an order to
demolish the scam-hit Adarsh Housing Society, its members have
approached the Bombay High Court challenging it.
The Environment Ministry had on January 16 directed
the Society to demolish within three months the "unauthorised"
31-storey building in South Mumbai for violating coastal
About 103 members of the Society filed a petition in
the High Court yesterday challenging the Ministry`s order on
the grounds that it is "wrong in law".
The petition would come up for hearing in due course
of time. According to the petition, filed through the
solicitor firm of Amit Naik, all necessary permission was
taken from all the departments of the government.
"The Society has complied with all the regulations and
has taken necessary permission from the government," the
The high-rise meant to house families of Kargil
martyrs came under the scanner following reports that flats
were doled out to politicians, top defence personnel including
two former Army chiefs and bureaucrats as well as their kin.
The CBI, which was directed by the Defence Ministry to
conduct a probe, had on January 29 registered a case in the
scam against 13 persons including former Maharashtra Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan, retired army officials, bureaucrats and
state government officials on charges of criminal conspiracy,
fraud and misuse of their official powers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Chancellor Angela Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings: spokesman
- Merkel aide says cannot confirm Munich shooting was terrorism
- US stocks hit new records; weak British data hits pound
- Whirlpool's biggest challenge is rapid changes in global markets: CEO
- Russia facing Rio Olympic, Paralympic ban