Adarsh Society was proposed much prior to Kargil, panel told
Mumbai: Justifying no wrong doing in the controversial Adarsh Housing Society, its chief promoter and secretary RC Thakur has told the judicial panel probing the
scam, that the Society was proposed much before Kargil war, and hence the allegation of it being reserved for war heroes and widows is false.
Thakur, a former officer with the defence estates office and an accused in the case, in an affidavit filed before the two-member inquiry Commission has said, "the Society was proposed much prior to the Kargil war and hence there was no
question of it being reserved for Kargil war heroes and their widows."
The affidavit relies on a letter of intent dated January 18, 2003 issued by the Maharashtra government which does not impose any such condition on the Society in posh Colaba area.
The high-rise was constructed after obtaining permissions from authorities, the affidavit stated. "All applications for memberships were scrutinised and verified by the government before allowing them," it said.
The affidavit was filed after the Commission issued summons to Thakur.
The Commission, set up by the state government in January this year, is looking into issues such as whether the land was reserved for kin of Kargil war martyrs and alleged violation of Coastal Regulation Zone and environment rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez