Adarsh Society was proposed much prior to Kargil, panel told
Mumbai: Justifying no wrong doing in the controversial Adarsh Housing Society, its chief promoter and secretary RC Thakur has told the judicial panel probing the
scam, that the Society was proposed much before Kargil war, and hence the allegation of it being reserved for war heroes and widows is false.
Thakur, a former officer with the defence estates office and an accused in the case, in an affidavit filed before the two-member inquiry Commission has said, "the Society was proposed much prior to the Kargil war and hence there was no
question of it being reserved for Kargil war heroes and their widows."
The affidavit relies on a letter of intent dated January 18, 2003 issued by the Maharashtra government which does not impose any such condition on the Society in posh Colaba area.
The high-rise was constructed after obtaining permissions from authorities, the affidavit stated. "All applications for memberships were scrutinised and verified by the government before allowing them," it said.
The affidavit was filed after the Commission issued summons to Thakur.
The Commission, set up by the state government in January this year, is looking into issues such as whether the land was reserved for kin of Kargil war martyrs and alleged violation of Coastal Regulation Zone and environment rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi