After attack, Salem shifted to Raigad jail
Mumbai: A day after he was allegedly attacked by a member of Dawood Ibrahim`s gang inside the Arthur Road Jail here, mafia don Abu Salem was shifted to the Taloja Central Jail in Raigad district, his lawyer said on Sunday.
"The decision came after Salem was attacked by a rival gangster in the jail. His safety was at stake and hence the decision was taken. He was shifted to the Taloja jail late last (Saturday) night," said Saba Qureshi, Salem`s lawyer.
According to state Home Department officials, Salem was shifted to avoid any further security breaches or clashes between him and rival gangsters.
The 43-year-old was attacked during breakfast time Saturday with a sharpened spoon inside the Arthur Road Jail, allegedly by Mohammed Dossa, a member of absconding mafia don Dawood Ibrahim`s gang. Salem had injuries on the face and neck.
A case has been lodged against Dossa at the NM Joshi Marg Police Station here.
Besides his alleged role in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case, Salem is also named as an accused in the killing of music baron Gulshan Kumar in 1997.
Salem, whose name once spelt dread for Bollywood, is also considered instrumental in unsuccessful attempts on the lives of filmmakers Rajeev Rai and Rakesh Roshan a few years ago.
He, along with his girlfriend and Bollywood starlet Monica Bedi, was extradited to India in November 2005 after an assurance by the former National Democratic Alliance government that the duo would not be awarded the death penalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Anti-burkini law would be `unconstitutional`: French minister
- Researchers find way to boost gene-editing tool efficiency
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank