After attack, Salem shifted to Raigad jail
Mumbai: A day after he was allegedly attacked by a member of Dawood Ibrahim`s gang inside the Arthur Road Jail here, mafia don Abu Salem was shifted to the Taloja Central Jail in Raigad district, his lawyer said on Sunday.
"The decision came after Salem was attacked by a rival gangster in the jail. His safety was at stake and hence the decision was taken. He was shifted to the Taloja jail late last (Saturday) night," said Saba Qureshi, Salem`s lawyer.
According to state Home Department officials, Salem was shifted to avoid any further security breaches or clashes between him and rival gangsters.
The 43-year-old was attacked during breakfast time Saturday with a sharpened spoon inside the Arthur Road Jail, allegedly by Mohammed Dossa, a member of absconding mafia don Dawood Ibrahim`s gang. Salem had injuries on the face and neck.
A case has been lodged against Dossa at the NM Joshi Marg Police Station here.
Besides his alleged role in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case, Salem is also named as an accused in the killing of music baron Gulshan Kumar in 1997.
Salem, whose name once spelt dread for Bollywood, is also considered instrumental in unsuccessful attempts on the lives of filmmakers Rajeev Rai and Rakesh Roshan a few years ago.
He, along with his girlfriend and Bollywood starlet Monica Bedi, was extradited to India in November 2005 after an assurance by the former National Democratic Alliance government that the duo would not be awarded the death penalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'