After Hooda, Maha CM Prithviraj Chavan to avoid sharing dais with PM Narendra Modi
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Facing embarrassment over disruption of his speech in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi at an event in Solapur, the Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday said that he will not attend an event in Nagpur with the former which is scheduled to be held tomorrow.
“I`ve decided not to attend the Nagpur event,” said Chavan.
PM Modi will be inaugurating the much-awaited Nagpur metro rail project tomorrow for which Chavan is also invited.
Chavan`s refusal to share dais with Modi came a day after Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda said that he will never attend an event with the current PM.
Meanwhile, the Congress condemned the act of disrupting CMs speech and issued a statement that the party would not tolerate such incidents in future.
Chavan, who accompanied the PM to Solapur in western Maharashtra for the inauguration of four-laned National Highway Number 9 on Saturday, had to stop speaking during the function as the crowd began to chant Modi`s name.
Yesterday Hooda was jeered by the crowd at a rally he attended with Narendra Modi in Haryana.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Congress spokesperson Sachin Sawant said here today, "The suspicion that Modi has dictator`s mentality is now coming true," .
"To the date never a Chief Minister was humiliated in the presence of the Prime Minister at any function," he added.
"Modi supporters created disturbance and the PM did not utter a word. This is dangerous for the democracy," the Congress spokesperson further said.
"Similar incident happened with Haryana CM too at a PM`s function," Sawant stated.
"Such incidents were not expected to happen in Maharashtra which boasts of progressive ideology of Rajarshi Shahu, Mahatma Phule and Babasaheb Ambedkar. The Modi mentality is responsible for this," he went on to say, adding “Next time, we won`t tolerate such incidents. Congress won`t keep quiet. Congress opposes not Modi the individual but the Modi mentality.
Sawant also said that recent statements by RSS, VHP and Shiv Sena leaders pose threat to the integrity of the country.
“To say that this country belongs only to Hindus is to reject the Constitution drafted by Dr Ambedkar,” he said.
(With PTI inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents