After Sangli poll win, Cong wants coordination panel meet
Mumbai: Congress, which wrested control of the Sangli-Miraj-Kupwad Municipal Corporation in western Maharashtra, on Monday, demanded that a meeting of the Congress-NCP coordination committee be held to discuss "unwarranted" remarks by NCP leaders.
"Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan should hold an immediate meeting of the coordination committee to seek explanation (from the NCP) about disparaging remarks about Congress leaders," MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre said here.
Congress and NCP are partners in the state government since 1999. In the Sangli poll, held yesterday, Congress won 40 of the 78 seats, leaving NCP with just 18.
Chavan should convene a coordination meeting as NCP has crossed its limit by stooping to low level, he said.
NCP should have maintained restraint in levelling charges against Congress ministers and leaders especially when the alliance government is ruling the state, he added.
Thakre asked NCP to severe its links with the Shiv Sena and BJP in various local and civic bodies. "NCP should break its unholy tie-up with saffron parties in some local and civic bodies in the state. If there is any such alliance where Congress is a part, it will be ended immediately," he said.
AICC co-incharge for Maharashtra Syoraj Jeevan Walmiki said, "I have received representation from many party workers who say Congress should contest polls on its own steam."
Many in NCP are ready to cross over, he said, adding he would convey these views to the party high command.
Thakre said any decision on the issue would be taken by the party high command. However, many party workers feel that Congress will emerge stronger if it snaps ties with NCP, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!