Agitation in support of separate Vidarbha state
New Delhi: Pressing for the formation of
separate state of Vidarbha, members of the Vidarbha Rajya
Nirman Samittee (VRNS) on Wednesday announced that they will
intensify their agitation by organising a day long protest in
Nagpur on Friday.
"We have pledged to make it a people`s movement
because there is no other way to bring the problems of the
people of Vidarbha forward," Umesh Choubey, president of VRNS,
told reporters here.
Vidarbha is plagued by many evils such as
under-development, economic backwardness, Naxalism, lack of
electricity and irrigation facilities for farming, Choubey
"We have spoken to many politicians including former
Chief Minister Vasant Sathe and BJP president Nitin Gadkari
(on the issue)," he said.
Govind Verma, an activist, said that the demand has
been in the pipeline for around 50 years.
"Irrigation facilities were increased in Vidarbha to
only 13 per cent and that of Western Maharashtra to 98 per
cent since the 1960s and the funds released by the government
never reach the farmers, leading to more farmer suicides,"
said VRNS member Professor Hari Bhaukedkar.
Extending support to the movement, Bodoland (Assam) MP
(LS) Sansuma Khunggur Bwiswmuthiary said, "We earnestly
request the government to have a similar separate state policy
for Vidarbha as Telangana and Bodoland, so that the
development of important states like these does not lag
behind. People feel a sense of belongingness to the country
and development of the country at large will increase."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka