Agitation in support of separate Vidarbha state
New Delhi: Pressing for the formation of
separate state of Vidarbha, members of the Vidarbha Rajya
Nirman Samittee (VRNS) on Wednesday announced that they will
intensify their agitation by organising a day long protest in
Nagpur on Friday.
"We have pledged to make it a people`s movement
because there is no other way to bring the problems of the
people of Vidarbha forward," Umesh Choubey, president of VRNS,
told reporters here.
Vidarbha is plagued by many evils such as
under-development, economic backwardness, Naxalism, lack of
electricity and irrigation facilities for farming, Choubey
"We have spoken to many politicians including former
Chief Minister Vasant Sathe and BJP president Nitin Gadkari
(on the issue)," he said.
Govind Verma, an activist, said that the demand has
been in the pipeline for around 50 years.
"Irrigation facilities were increased in Vidarbha to
only 13 per cent and that of Western Maharashtra to 98 per
cent since the 1960s and the funds released by the government
never reach the farmers, leading to more farmer suicides,"
said VRNS member Professor Hari Bhaukedkar.
Extending support to the movement, Bodoland (Assam) MP
(LS) Sansuma Khunggur Bwiswmuthiary said, "We earnestly
request the government to have a similar separate state policy
for Vidarbha as Telangana and Bodoland, so that the
development of important states like these does not lag
behind. People feel a sense of belongingness to the country
and development of the country at large will increase."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns