`Agitation received Rs 40L from unknown sources`
Mumbai: Rubbishing allegations of dubious
financial dealings in the movement for Jan Lokpal Bill, Anna Hazare on Sunday disclosed that the agitation had received Rs 40
lakh from "unknown sources".
"People are being misled about the funds collected and the
expenses of the agitation... Of the funds we got, Rs 40 lakh
came from unknown sources, through a bank," Hazare said in a
statement issued from Ralegan Siddhi, his native village.
He met three prominent members of his team - Arvind
Kejriwal, Prashant Bhushan and Kiran Bedi - there.
The written statement by Hazare, who is observing a vow of
silence, said, "Instead of keeping all this money, we have
directed that it be returned."
"We stopped collecting funds at the Ramlila Maidan after a
few days. Later, we even stopped receiving funds through
cheques and banks. All this shows that movement is not working
for money. We have undertaken a special audit... and will put
its report on the website. If anyone has doubts, any
government agency can investigate (finances of the
agitation)," Hazare said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border