`Agitation received Rs 40L from unknown sources`
Mumbai: Rubbishing allegations of dubious
financial dealings in the movement for Jan Lokpal Bill, Anna Hazare on Sunday disclosed that the agitation had received Rs 40
lakh from "unknown sources".
"People are being misled about the funds collected and the
expenses of the agitation... Of the funds we got, Rs 40 lakh
came from unknown sources, through a bank," Hazare said in a
statement issued from Ralegan Siddhi, his native village.
He met three prominent members of his team - Arvind
Kejriwal, Prashant Bhushan and Kiran Bedi - there.
The written statement by Hazare, who is observing a vow of
silence, said, "Instead of keeping all this money, we have
directed that it be returned."
"We stopped collecting funds at the Ramlila Maidan after a
few days. Later, we even stopped receiving funds through
cheques and banks. All this shows that movement is not working
for money. We have undertaken a special audit... and will put
its report on the website. If anyone has doubts, any
government agency can investigate (finances of the
agitation)," Hazare said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city