Ahuti mother’s police custody extended till Oct 12
Mumbai: A local court on Friday remanded the mother of three-month-old baby girl Ahuti, who died while undergoing treatment in a hospital here of suspected battering, to police custody till October 12.
"We told the court that we want to understand the events as to how the baby died and will interrogate Dharmishta Joshi to find it out," a senior police official said.
The police also told the court that they want to check if any other person is involved in the case.
Dharmishta`s advocate Jagdish Hande argued that her police custody was not needed as the post-mortem report was already with the police and they could investigate the case without her custodial interrogation.
According to police, Dharmishta allegedly beat up her baby severely causing her death.
While booking the mother on charge of murder, police claimed that the baby`s father Kalpesh Joshi was innocent.
Ahuti died on September 30 during treatment after she was admitted by her parents in central Mumbai`s civil-run KEM hospital with a skull fracture last week, police said.
The hospital`s paediatric department found that she had multiple skull fractures and also suffered from internal bleeding, police said.
When her parents failed to give a satisfactory explanation for her injuries, doctors notified the police.
However, after the girl died of injuries on Sunday, the police had registered it as an accidental death.
Later, preliminary post-mortem findings confirmed that the baby had injuries on both sides of the skull, which were unlikely to be caused by an accidental fall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre