Aid for those who lost eyesight after surgery
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 15:56
  
Mumbai: Maharashtra chief minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday announced financial aid of Rs one lakh to cataract patients, who lost their eyesight after operation at Government Medical college in Latur in December last year.

Intervening in a discussion during the question hour, Chavan said, Rs one lakh each would be given to three patients, who lost their complete eyesight, while Rs 50,000 each to two patients, who suffered partial blindness.

He said the aid would be given through the Chief Minister's relief fund.

The issue of financial aid to the patients was taken up during the question-hour yesterday. However, since the Medical Education Minister Vijay Kumar Gavit's reply failed to convince the Opposition, the issue was withheld and was decided to be taken up today.

Gavit, in his reply said, a committee would be set up to decide the quantum of compensation and a decision would be taken in eight days.

The Opposition members were on their feet protesting against the response of the minister. They demanded immediate relief to the patients.

Speaker Dilip Walse-Patil said that he had withheld the question yesterday to give the government time to take a concrete decision today itself. "This is non seriousness on the part of the government," he added.

Amid noisy scenes, the House was adjourned for ten minutes.

Gavit and Sena members Ravindra Waikar and Vinod Ghosalkar were involved in a verbal clash after the adjournment.

Food and Civil Supplies Minister Anil Deshmukh and other members had to intervene to take the two Sena members away from the minister.

Presiding officer Nawab Malik announced the second adjournment of 15 minutes immediately after the House re-assembled.

During the second adjournment, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Harshvardhan Patil spoke to the Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse. Seniormost member Ganpatrao Deshmukh tried to calm the situation.

Gavit apologised for his conduct after the House re-assembled following the second adjournment.

Yesterday, during the question hour, Gavit had said that the five patients lost their eyesight due to infection and not immediately after the cataract operation.

Opposition members had asked why two doctors were suspended, if the patients had suffered due to infection after discharge and not due to negligence.

The minister had explained that the doctors had not referred the patients to advanced treatment within 24 hours. The Speaker had withheld the question yesterday.

PTI


First Published: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 15:56


comments powered by Disqus