Air Force drags MHADA to court for land encroachment
Mumbai: In a first, Maharashtra Housing Area
Development Authority (Mhada), entrusted with the job of
tackling encroachments, has been dragged to the court by the
Air Force for allegedly encroaching on their land.
The Air Force has filed a suit in a City Civil Court
alleging that the Mhada has usurped over 50 per cent of its
12.2 acre strip of land in suburban Santacruz, which was
originally earmarked for a rifle range.
"The Mhada has approved annexure - II (eligibility list)
for the slum scheme as the land owning authority. The land has
however, been in the possession of Air Force since 1964,"
advocate Suresh Rajguru, appearing for Air Force told PTI.
No correspondence is also available with either the Air
Force or Mhada to show a transfer of the land in the latter`s
name, he added.
Out of the total area, 6.22 acre has been transferred to
Mhada, Rajguru said adding, "Four years ago, Shivalik Ventures
got the rights to develop the land through the Slum
Rehabilitation Scheme, which includes the rehab of over 26,000
"Representatives of the Air Force had in March visited
suburban Nirmal Nagar police station to lodge an FIR against
the builder and ensure that construction work is stopped, but
nothing was done. Following which we approached the court,"
the lawyer said.
The issue came to light when two residents - Abu
Tandel and Kalimuddin Shaikh - used the Right to Information
Act to dig out details of the rehab scheme.
"Already six buildings have been constructed on the
disputed land and some slum dwellers from the nearby Golibar
slums have been shifted to new flats. Another 14-storeyed
building is under construction, which should be stopped
immediately," Rajguru said.
The suit states when Air Force had initially sought
help from Mhada for removal of the encroachment, they were
asked to pay Rs 522 crore for rehabilitation of the slum
Air Force has sought a permanent stay on the
construction on the land and an order to demolish the
constructed buildings, Rajguru said.
The matter will come up for hearing tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo