Aircraft parts found in village pond in Beed district
Beed: Parts of a small aircraft which is believed to have crashed 68 years were found in a large pond here in Central Maharashtra.
The aeroplane parts were found in the pond at Rutiiman village under Ashti tehsil of this district during desilting work yesterday, said Sanjay Pawar, the local Tehsildar.
The reservoir, built in around 1938, was a major source of water for the locals. The pond dried up last year due to scanty rainfall and drought-like situation. Hence, the local administration decided to undertake desilting work.
During the work, labourers found a big and 2-3 small parts of what appeared like a plane. The big part looked like the engine of a small aeroplane, may be a two-seater one, Pawar said.
An elderly villager, Raghunath Raut, told visiting mediapersons that they had seen a plane falling into the pond in 1945. There were three eyewitness of to the incident of which Raut is the only one who is alive today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai