Aircraft parts found in village pond in Beed district
Beed: Parts of a small aircraft which is believed to have crashed 68 years were found in a large pond here in Central Maharashtra.
The aeroplane parts were found in the pond at Rutiiman village under Ashti tehsil of this district during desilting work yesterday, said Sanjay Pawar, the local Tehsildar.
The reservoir, built in around 1938, was a major source of water for the locals. The pond dried up last year due to scanty rainfall and drought-like situation. Hence, the local administration decided to undertake desilting work.
During the work, labourers found a big and 2-3 small parts of what appeared like a plane. The big part looked like the engine of a small aeroplane, may be a two-seater one, Pawar said.
An elderly villager, Raghunath Raut, told visiting mediapersons that they had seen a plane falling into the pond in 1945. There were three eyewitness of to the incident of which Raut is the only one who is alive today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren