Ajit Parasnis appointed new Maharashtra DGP
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government on Monday appointed Director General (Home Guards) Ajit Parasnis as DGP and additional Director General Arup Patnaik (Highway
Traffic) as Mumbai Police Commissioner.
"Parasnis is the new DGP, while Arup Patnaik will take charge as Mumbai Police Commissioner," Home Minister RR Patil told a news agency.
As the present state police chief D Sivanandan retires today and is reluctant for an extension, the Home Department as appointed 59-year-old Parasnis of 1976 batch to the top job, sources in the department said.
Parasnis is the senior-most IPS officer in the state, followed by K Subramaniam, DG (Anti Corruption) and Pankaj Gupta, Additional DG (Planning and Co-ordination).
Additional Director General Arup Patnaik (Highway Traffic) of 1979 IPS batch will replace Sanjeev Dayal, who is currently holding charge as Mumbai Police Commissioner.
Dayal (1977 batch) was promoted as Director General (Housing), a post which has been lying vacant since the retirement of PP Srivastava a few months ago.
Patnaik, the only IPS recruit of 1979, has had the longest stint in the city among all the senior officers.
His first posting was in Latur after which he was transferred to Jalgaon and Nagpur before being sent to his first city post as the then Zone 6 Deputy Commissioner of
Police. He has worked in the city for several years in different posts, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation