Ajit Parasnis appointed new Maharashtra DGP
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government on Monday appointed Director General (Home Guards) Ajit Parasnis as DGP and additional Director General Arup Patnaik (Highway
Traffic) as Mumbai Police Commissioner.
"Parasnis is the new DGP, while Arup Patnaik will take charge as Mumbai Police Commissioner," Home Minister RR Patil told a news agency.
As the present state police chief D Sivanandan retires today and is reluctant for an extension, the Home Department as appointed 59-year-old Parasnis of 1976 batch to the top job, sources in the department said.
Parasnis is the senior-most IPS officer in the state, followed by K Subramaniam, DG (Anti Corruption) and Pankaj Gupta, Additional DG (Planning and Co-ordination).
Additional Director General Arup Patnaik (Highway Traffic) of 1979 IPS batch will replace Sanjeev Dayal, who is currently holding charge as Mumbai Police Commissioner.
Dayal (1977 batch) was promoted as Director General (Housing), a post which has been lying vacant since the retirement of PP Srivastava a few months ago.
Patnaik, the only IPS recruit of 1979, has had the longest stint in the city among all the senior officers.
His first posting was in Latur after which he was transferred to Jalgaon and Nagpur before being sent to his first city post as the then Zone 6 Deputy Commissioner of
Police. He has worked in the city for several years in different posts, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- PM Modi gifts Iran's Supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei reproduction of rare Quran manuscript
- Left Front to hit the streets against post-poll violence
- 45 union ministers to tour UP on Modi government's second anniversary
- Man who tried shaking hands with lion sent to jail in Hyderabad
- Congress planning to digitalise photographs, speeches of Indira Gandhi