Ajit Parasnis appointed new Maharashtra DGP
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government on Monday appointed Director General (Home Guards) Ajit Parasnis as DGP and additional Director General Arup Patnaik (Highway
Traffic) as Mumbai Police Commissioner.
"Parasnis is the new DGP, while Arup Patnaik will take charge as Mumbai Police Commissioner," Home Minister RR Patil told a news agency.
As the present state police chief D Sivanandan retires today and is reluctant for an extension, the Home Department as appointed 59-year-old Parasnis of 1976 batch to the top job, sources in the department said.
Parasnis is the senior-most IPS officer in the state, followed by K Subramaniam, DG (Anti Corruption) and Pankaj Gupta, Additional DG (Planning and Co-ordination).
Additional Director General Arup Patnaik (Highway Traffic) of 1979 IPS batch will replace Sanjeev Dayal, who is currently holding charge as Mumbai Police Commissioner.
Dayal (1977 batch) was promoted as Director General (Housing), a post which has been lying vacant since the retirement of PP Srivastava a few months ago.
Patnaik, the only IPS recruit of 1979, has had the longest stint in the city among all the senior officers.
His first posting was in Latur after which he was transferred to Jalgaon and Nagpur before being sent to his first city post as the then Zone 6 Deputy Commissioner of
Police. He has worked in the city for several years in different posts, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22