Ajit Pawar resigned after files of scams gutted in Mantralaya fire: Uddhav
Mumbai: Hinting at sabotage in Mantralaya blaze, Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray Wednesday said senior NCP leader Ajit Pawar "showed courage" to step down as deputy chief minister of Maharashtra only after files pertaining to various scams gutted in the fire.
A devastating fire at the secretariat, including offices of the Chief Minister and the Deputy Chief Minister, destroyed a large number of files on June 21.
"Ajit Pawar got the courage to resign from the post of deputy chief minister after the files related to various scams burnt down in Mantralaya," Uddhav told a gathering of the Republican Party of India (RPI) workers here.
Tearing into the NCP stalwart who quit as deputy chief minister on allegations of irregularities in irrigation works and is currently touring Western Maharashtra, Uddhav said, "Isn`t his (Ajit`s) resignation related to Mantralaya fire?".
"As soon as the inquiry began on various scams, the files related to them burnt down in Mantralaya blaze," he alleged.
Senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde who was also present on the occasion demanded a CBI probe into the irrigation scam.
"Simply tabling a white paper on irrigation will not serve the purpose. We want investigation by CBI in the irrigation scam. Rs 72,000 crore was spent on irrigation projects, but only one percent increase is seen," he added.
When confronted with the allegations levelled by Uddhav against Ajit, NCP leader Nawab Malik said they "did not deserve comment".
"Shiv Sena has been making allegations since past. We have answered all their doubts and queries. White-paper will be tabled on the irrigation in the Assembly. All information will come out before the people of the state," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India