Ajit Pawar seeks 144 seats for NCP in Maharashtra Assembly polls
Palghar: Stating that NCP has won twice the number of seats as compared to Congress in Maharashtra in the recent Lok Sabha polls, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar has sought equal number of seats for his party with Congress in the upcoming Assembly polls.
"As NCP`s strength in the state has grown in the recent Lok Sabha polls as compared to Congress, we should get 144 seats, an equal share with our ally Congress in the ensuing Assembly polls," Pawar said at Palghar last evening while addressing party workers.
The Congress won two seats in the recently-held general elections in Maharashtra, while the NCP won four seats, he said.
In 2009, the Congress had used similar argument against the NCP to contest more seats in the state, Pawar said, "So, using that formula, NCP should get equal number of seats this time."
Pawar asked his party workers to undertake public outreach programmes ahead of the state polls.
"The party workers should visit every household and inform the citizens about the important decisions taken by the party at the state and central level. The party suffered due to absence of this during the Lok Sabha polls and we should correct this for the assembly elections," he said.
Talking about the division of Thane into Palghar district, he said, the state government had taken into account all the necessary factors before the decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics