Ajit Pawar takes on Congress at public rally
Mumbai: In a veiled attack on ally Congress in Maharashtra, NCP leader Ajit Pawar on Sunday said the allegations of irregularities raised against him were aimed at diverting public attention from the Coalgate scam.
"There is an attempt to blacken us with coal," said Pawar, who last week resigned as the Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister after reports about his alleged role in an irrigation scam.
Even though he did not name Congress, there was no mistaking the fact that his angst was directed against the senior alliance partner.
Pawar was speaking at a function at Akole in Ahmednagar district, his first public meeting after the resignation.
There is a conspiracy to malign NCP`s image, he said. "As long as people are with the NCP, there is nothing to fear," he said.
"Nobody sought my resignation, but I gave it on my own," Pawar said, adding that, "I did not resign to withdraw it later."
"Don`t make dirty allegations and mislead people," he asked those behind the "defamation campaign".
"I may be out of government, but I will continue to work for people," Pawar said. The NCP leader said he would meet party workers every Thursday at the party office.
"If need arises, I will meet CM to discuss problems of people," he said.
Pawar announced that he would undertake a state-wide tour and bring out the "truth" (into the irrigation scam allegations before the people).
Later, talking to reporters, Pawar said he had resigned to ensure a "fair" inquiry (in the irrigation scam).
The 53-year-old nephew of NCP chief Sharad Pawar, had resigned following media reports about his alleged involvement in a Rs 20,000 crore scam when he held the irrigation portfolio between 1999 and 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview