Ajit Pawar takes on Opposition over budgetary allocations
Mumbai: Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister
Ajit Pawar o n Thursday castigated the Opposition for calling his
maiden budget as "biased".
Replying to the general debate on the state budget in the
Legislative Assembly, Pawar, who is also the Finance Minister,
defended the specific allocations for development works saying
that if not done, the surplus shown in this year`s budget
would have been more than Rs 58 crore.
He rejected the opposition charge that he was biased in
Pawar said this year specific allocations were made for
Social Justice department - Rs 408 crore, Tribal Development -
Rs 498 crore, and Planning Department- Rs 2547 crore.
According to him, it is an established fact that usually
40 per cent of provisions are made for developmental
ministries like Power and Public Works Department (PWD).
"The provisions are not made based on political
affiliations," Pawar said, lashing out at the Opposition for
alleging that the budget was beneficial only to NCP
ministries. Pawar himself is from NCP.
Coming down heavily on the Opposition for disrupting the
presentation of budget, Pawar said it was a deliberate attempt
to stall the budget.
"Posters and banners are not prepared in five to ten
minutes. They contained cartoons of former finance ministers.
The opposition members did not even think that by doing this,
they were insulting the present Speaker, who was once finance
minister," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka