Ajit Pawar, the power centre in NCP
Mumbai: Maharashtra`s Deputy Chief
Minister-designate Ajit Pawar has always been known in state
political circles as the real power centre in Nationalist
Congress Party (NCP) founded by his uncle Sharad Pawar 11
Fondly known as Ajit`dada` among supporters and
political rivals alike, the 51-year-old was the youngest
Minister in the Congress-led Vilasrao Deshmukh government
which came to power in 1999.
The man, who is set to become Maharashtra`s new Deputy CM
replacing Chhagan Bhujbal, made his foray into electoral
politics in 1982. He won a sugar co-operative body poll by a
Ajit Pawar was elected to Lok Sabha from Baramati, Sharad
Pawar`s pocket borough in western Maharashtra, in 1991. He
returned to state politics as MLA from Baramati and was
inducted into Sudhakar Naik government.
Pawar, who was in the race for the Deputy CM post last
year also, currently handles the Power and Water Resources
Ministries in Congress-NCP alliance government. He is also
Guardian Minister of Pune district.
He is known for his administrative acumen, planning and
vision and the way he has handled key portfolios of energy and
Ajit Pawar has a fan following among NCP workers that is
envy of other leaders of the party. He is known to keep the
media at bay.
Ajit Pawar is the second prominent politician in the
state after late Chief Minister Vasantdada Patil to have the
honour of being addressed as "dada" (big brother).
His ascent to the top post in state NCP is expected to
silence his detractors who sought to equate him with Sharad
Pawar`s MP-daughter Supriya Sule on the issue of senior
Maratha strongman`s political heir.
Pawar is married to Sunetra, who looks after his Assembly
constituency Baramati in Pune district. He has two sons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof