`Ajit Pawar`s resignation stays, no feud in family’
Mumbai: Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar on Thursday said he will not ask his nephew Ajit Pawar to withdraw his resignation as Maharashtra’s Deputy Chief Minister, while maintaining that there was no feud in his family.
Speaking to a private TV news channel, NCP chief said that his family was united and sought to play down reports that there were differences in his family.
NCP chief also informed that his nephew took the decision to quit the Prithviraj Chavan government only after consulting him. He also maintained that it was Ajit Pawar’s personal decision to quit as state’s Deputy Chief Minister.
Sharad Pawar also categorically stated that there was no need for other NCP ministers to follow suit and resign from the Congress-led government in Maharashtra.
The reaction from Sharad Pawar comes a day after the NCP legislators passed a single line resolution yesterday asking Ajit Pawar to withdraw his resignation.
Ajit Pawar supporters also staged demonstrations outside the state Assembly building and raised anti-Congress slogans.
The NCP chief has maintained that it was not on them, but up to the Congress to decide on the whether there would be a leadership change in Maharashtra.
Ajit Pawar`s resignation is also seen as a fight for supremacy in the Maharashtra unit of the NCP. Ajit Pawar, who is NCP chief Sharad Pawar`s nephew, was seen as his heir apparent and is credited with building the party`s base in the state.
But after Sharad Pawar`s daughter Supriya Sule entered politics and became an MP, Ajit`s relations with the NCP chief have deteriorated and his resignation is an attempt to show the leadership that he still commands the loyalty of the party workers and MLAs in the state.
Moreover, the NCP-Congress ties have been going through a roller coaster ride for the last few months as the former was against Prithviraj Chavan being made the chief minister as he is considered an outsider in state politics.
The Congress, however, made it clear that Chavan would stay as the Chief Minister.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!