Ajmal Kasab still unaware of Supreme Court verdict
Mumbai: Even though a day has passed since the Supreme Court upheld Ajmal Kasab`s death sentence, the jailed Pakistani terrorist remains unaware of his fate, a prison official said Thursday.
"We think it is not advisable to communicate the Supreme Court verdict to Kasab yet. We have not received the hard copy of the judgment papers and hence the decision," A.C. Rane, superintendent of high-security Arthur Road Jail here, said.
Rane said it was important that the verdict was served to Kasab in an appropriate manner by the jail authorities.
"As jail officials, it is our responsibility to serve him the verdict and tell him about his fate. What is the point in telling him now when we don`t even have the copy of the verdict?" he said.
Rane said once he received the copy of the verdict, he would hand it over to Kasab and also take his signature on the receipt.
"However, I cannot be sure when the copy will arrive," he said.
The Supreme Court Wednesday upheld the death sentence of Kasab, the only Pakistani terrorist caught alive after the 26/11 Mumbai strike that claimed 166 lives, saying he never showed any remorse.
Kasab, one of the 10 Pakistanis who sneaked into Mumbai on the night of Nov 26, 2008, for a terror strike in the city that ended on Nov 29 afternoon, had moved the apex court challenging the death sentence awarded to him by a trial court, which was later confirmed by the Bombay High Court.
The apex court rejected Kasab`s contention that the terror attack was a war against the government of India and not against people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report