Alert in Maha tiger reserves to curb poaching
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has issued an alert in tiger reserves in the state following reports of a possible surge in poaching activities.
Principal Secretary (Forests) Praveen Pardeshi said his department has got information that poachers of Bahalia gang from Katni are on the lookout for tigers here due to the demand from China.
"We have asked forest authorities for hundred per cent monitoring of water holes in tiger reserves. Similarly, we have taken up advertisement and information campaign to apprise locals about the situation and promise rewards for information about poachers," he said.
Additional water holes will also be constructed so that tigers have alternate places.
Similarly, rewards will be given to locals who pass on information about poachers to authorities and help protect tigers following the state government`s decision to involve them in having a positive stake in wildlife conservation.
The move is aimed at avoiding tiger-human conflict in buffer zones outside tiger reserves. There are about 100 tigers outside the reserves without protection and efforts are on to give ownership of the tiger reserves to the locals.
"Many times poachers are helped by locals," Pardeshi said.
"Villagers in Tadoba run the eco tourist routes. The guards and guide should be appointed from among the locals and the tourists pay the fees directly to them. The fees of local youth working as a tourist guide have been hiked from Rs 100 to Rs 200," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city