Alert locals foil kidnap of girl; vendor arrested
Thane: A 20-year-old vendor from Uttar Pradesh, who lifted a one-year-old girl from Kalyan town with an intention to kidnap her was caught red-handed by alert locals, police said on Monday.
The incident took place last evening when alleged accused Azad Tede Khan was suspiciously moving around Khadegolavali area of the town and spotted the toddler playing near her house. He quietly lifted her while no one was watching, API Ashok Pawar of Kolshewadi police station said.
Finding the child missing, the mother raised an alarm and people in the areas rushed to the spot and caught hold of the accused, who about to flee with the girl.
Khan was later handed over to police at Kolsehwadi and he has been booked under sections 363(a) of the IPC.
On quizzing, the accused told the police that he planned to kidnap the child and push her into begging, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown