All political parties call for Thane shut down on Apr 18
Thane: Bitter rivals from all political parties have shed their differences and came together to protect unauthorised residential structures from being demolished, by calling a `Thane bandh` on Thursday, April 18.
The shutdown has been called to express their "concern" over the demolition of unauthorised structures, without providing alternate accommodation to residents who will be displaced.
At a press conference this evening at the Tip Top Plaza here, political leaders of all parties announced that a march would be taken out by from Thane to the Mantralaya demanding "first rehabilitation and later demolition".
Leaders of political parties including Balkrishna Purnekar, President of the Congress, Jitendra Bunty Awhad, MLA and President of the NCP and Eknath Shinde, MLA and District Chief of the Shiv Sena said that they would participate in the shut down.
All parties also condemned the state government`s and the civic body`s move to raze unauthorised structures without providing shelter to lakhs of residents who would be left without shelters.
Addressing reporters at the press conference, the Shiv Sena leader said that of about 18 lakh people in Thane, more than 50 per cent lived under extreme fear of the corporation razing their houses.
Hence, the government should first take a decision to shelter them, before razing their houses, he said.
It may be recalled that Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Chief Sharad Pawar who was in the city a couple of days ago was also of the opinion that people ought to be rehabilitated first before demolition is carried out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal