All political parties call for Thane shut down on Apr 18
Thane: Bitter rivals from all political parties have shed their differences and came together to protect unauthorised residential structures from being demolished, by calling a `Thane bandh` on Thursday, April 18.
The shutdown has been called to express their "concern" over the demolition of unauthorised structures, without providing alternate accommodation to residents who will be displaced.
At a press conference this evening at the Tip Top Plaza here, political leaders of all parties announced that a march would be taken out by from Thane to the Mantralaya demanding "first rehabilitation and later demolition".
Leaders of political parties including Balkrishna Purnekar, President of the Congress, Jitendra Bunty Awhad, MLA and President of the NCP and Eknath Shinde, MLA and District Chief of the Shiv Sena said that they would participate in the shut down.
All parties also condemned the state government`s and the civic body`s move to raze unauthorised structures without providing shelter to lakhs of residents who would be left without shelters.
Addressing reporters at the press conference, the Shiv Sena leader said that of about 18 lakh people in Thane, more than 50 per cent lived under extreme fear of the corporation razing their houses.
Hence, the government should first take a decision to shelter them, before razing their houses, he said.
It may be recalled that Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Chief Sharad Pawar who was in the city a couple of days ago was also of the opinion that people ought to be rehabilitated first before demolition is carried out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur