Alleged IM co-founder, aide arrested by Maharashtra ATS
Mumbai: Alleged terror outfit Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar were arrested here on Wednesday by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) in connection with the July 13, 2011 Mumbai terror attack case after being brought here from New Delhi.
Yesterday, a Delhi court presided over by District Judge I S Mehta had allowed the pleas of Maharashtra ATS which sought the custody of Bhatkal and Akhtar alias Tabrez in connection with the case, in which over 20 people were killed and 141 were injured, saying that their custodial interrogation was required to complete its probe.
With the arrest of these two accused, the total number of accused apprehended in the case rose to seven, the police said.
The accused would be produced before a court tomorrow, the police said.
Earlier, five accused namely Naquee Ahmed, Nadeem Shaikh, Kanwar Pathrija, Haroon Naik and Mohammed Qafeel Ansari were held in the case and are facing trial under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), IPC and other laws.
Those wanted in the case are Riyaz Bhatkal, who is also a top operative of the alleged home grown terror outfit, Waqas Ibrahim Sad, Dubai-based Muzaffar Kolah and Tehseen Akhtar Shaikh, the police said.
Three powerful blasts had ripped through crowded areas in Mumbai on the evening of July 13, 2011, killing at least 21 people and injuring 141.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video