Alliance has to be respectable: Chavan
Cautioning that rigidity in seat-sharing formula would help communal forces, chief minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday said, “At the same time, pre-poll alliance has to be respectable.”
Chavan was addressing a rally of farmers at Dhayari organised by Haveli Taluka Congress Committee for inaugurating the party office of Khadakwasla assembly segment.
Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) president Manikrao Thakare presided over the rally. Minister for forests Patangrao Kadam, minister for cooperation Harshawardhan Patil, MPCC women’s state unit president Kamal Vyavahare, Congress district unit president Devidas Bhansali, city unit president Abhay Chhajed, deputy mayor Bandu Gaikwad, MLAs and MLCs were present.
Chavan said that people ask as to why Congress goes for alliance with Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) but one has to keep in mind that the real challenge is from communal forces. He said that there is a need for discussion on seat sharing and one should not make it an ego issue. Chavan said that the alliance has to be respectable also.
Thakare said that taking into account the increased strength of the party, Congress could press for 29-18 formula for seat sharing and demand for 29 Lok Sabha seats. He said that Congress has won 17 seats out of 26 it contested in the Lok Sabha elections and Congress has always maintained flexibility in this regard for maintaining the alliance.
Taking a cue from former cabinet minister Anantrao Thopate’s criticism of NCP president Sharad Pawar, Chavan said, “In 1999, a dream for becoming the prime minister for someone had resulted in division in the Congress. This resulted in Thopate and myself facing defeat. It deprived Thopate of the post of chief minister.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read