Alliance with Shiv Sena-BJP under consideration: Athawale
Mumbai: Hinting of forging an alliance
with Shiv Sena-BJP combine in Maharashtra ahead of the civic
polls, Republican Party of India (RPI) faction leader Ramdas
Athawale today said that his party was organising a rally here
on May 22 after which the future course of action will be
Talking to reporters here, Athawale said more than one
lakh party workers from Mumbai, besides from across the state,
are likely to attend the rally.
"This (the rally) would be our response to critics who
say that I am planning to switch over to Sena-BJP camp since I
have no strength left of my own," the dalit leader said adding
that "there was no looking back for him now".
The theme of the rally is growing corruption, price
rise and atrocities against dalits under the congress-NCP
rule, he said.
"The alliance with Sena-BJP is under serious
consideration. It will be announced at the right time. We have
to work out a common minimum programme and other modalities
with Sena-BJP combine," Athawale said.
Taking on NCP, the dalit leader said "In 1999, the NCP
was formed opposing the foreign origin of Sonia Gandhi. Sharad
Pawar was expelled from the Congress. But, within two months,
the two parties joined hands to form the government in the
state and showed that they can go to any extent of compromise
for the sake of power."
When asked about raging controversy surrounding
Maharashtra State Co-operative bank, Athawale said "It would
not be proper only to blame deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar
for the crisis in the bank. Both, Congress and NCP are
responsible for it, he said.
Athawale recently met Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray as
a part of efforts to form an alliance with the combine against
ruling Congress-NCP in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened