Allow accused to seek discharge before framing of charges: HC
Mumbai: Observing that an accused should be given a chance to seek discharge from a case before charges are framed against him, the Bombay High Court has set aside charges framed against advocate Mandar Goswami in a graft case.
Goswami was arrested by CBI in March last year, when he was a counsel for CBI, along with former MLC Kanhaiyalal Gidwani and his son Kailash, and tax consultant JK Jagiasi for allegedly accepting bribe from the Gidwanis to weaken the charges levelled against them in the Adarsh Society scam.
The lawyer approached the High Court challenging the framing of charges against him by a special CBI court on the ground that he was not given a chance to file discharge application or peruse the charge sheet.
Goswami`s advocate Ashok Mundargi argued that the court had framed charges even before the charge sheet could be given to him, thus taking away the liberty of the accused to file an application seeking discharge from the case.
According to Goswami, he was summoned to court on October 25 last year when the special CBI judge informed him that charges were framed against him.
Accepting the petitioner`s argument, Justice S C Dharmadhikari recently set aside the charges framed. "I am of the opinion that the lower court ought not to have proceeded hastily in the given facts and circumstances," he had said.
"To my mind, the lower court should have given some time to the petitioner to peruse the charge sheet and to apply for discharge. There was no need to proceed and frame charges straight away when the petitioner was called upon to attend the court," Justice Dharmadhikari had said.
The High Court has directed the accused to file discharge application before the lower court within ten days.
"The lower court shall hear and decide the application within four weeks thereafter and pass appropriate order in accordance with law. If the order on the discharge application is adverse then the court may go on with framing of charges," it said.
According to CBI, the Gidwanis had paid a bribe of Rs 1.25 crore to Jagiasi, who had flaunted his close links with CBI officers, including Goswami, to weaken the charges levelled against them in the Adarsh housing society scam.
Jagiasi, who used to file Goswami`s income tax returns, in turn gave Rs 25 lakh to the CBI counsel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla